In an effort to more easily distribute important Town information to residents, businesses, and visitors, the Town has partnered with the Prince William County Office of Emergency Management to create a new citizen notification system called AlertOccoquan. Residents and visitors alike are now able to get real-time updates on Town activities and emergencies right to their phones and inboxes. Click on the image below and check out the FAQs to learn more about this new system and how you can become a part of it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is AlertOccoquan?
AlertOccoquan is part of the PWC Alerts system, powered by Everbridge. The system sends out alerts about both public safety issues and general Town information. It is also used during special events, like Riverfest, to keep residents and visitors informed and safe.
How does AlertOccoquan work?
AlertOccoquan takes messages from Town staff and police and sends them as mass notifications via email, phone, text message, and push notification. As long as you subscribe to the Town of Occoquan and input your contact information for any or all of these communication methods, you will receive updates from the Town. During special events, attendees are even able to opt-in to notifications by sending an event specific keyword to our SMS short code, no app or computer required.
How do you sign up?
To sign up for AlertOccoquan, Town residents, businesses and visitors can create an account with PWC Alerts (online or through the Everbridge app) and customize their profile to receive information from the Town via the method of their choice, about the topics and events they are most interested in.
Sign Up Instructions:
- Go to the PWC Alerts Sign Up Page or download the Everbridge App and search for “Prince William County”.
- Create an account using your contact information.
- Select the locations for which you want geo-targeted alerts.
- Under Alert Subscriptions, go to “Community Information”, then “Town of Occoquan”, and then select “Occoquan General Information”, “Occoquan Public Safety Information”, and/or any other category under “Town of Occoquan” that interests you in order to receive updates from the Town.
- Feel free to sign up for any other PWC subscriptions that interest you, like weather alerts and traffic updates.
The Town of Occoquan highly recommends downloading the Everbridge App to receive push notification alerts and manage your profile on the go.
Please remember to list everbridge.net as “safe” in your email spam file, or you will not see these alerts in your inbox.
What if you have more questions?
For more information on AlertOccoquan, contact the Occoquan Police Department by telephone at (571) 492-7274 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.